Thursday, May 15, 2014

Concerto Study

During my first year studying music at the University of Alabama, a course in Music History exposed me, for the first time, to the Piano Concertos of Schumann, Grieg, & Tchaikovsky. I remember bragging, "shucks, I can do that" ... so, over the next two semesters I wrote the 1st Movement of what I called Piano Concerto in e minor. Upon hearing the two piano version at a Symposium, Henry Cowell commented that the, "weaving introductory theme soaring over the 1st Theme, was interesting". Later, after much study of theory and composition, and hearing what Brahms, Rachmaninof and Prokofiev had done with the form, I was completely deflated. Many years later when the electronic orchestra became viable, I orchestrated the 2nd piano part ... just to hear the piece ... and I renamed it, Concerto Study ... just to have some way to refer to this very early work.

No comments:

Post a Comment